D4 Published development or research report or study
Korkeakouluopiskelijoiden geneeristen taitojen arviointi : Kappas!-hankkeen tuloksia (2021)

Ursin, J., Hyytinen, H., Silvennoinen, K., Palonen, M., Kleemola, K., Toom, A., & Nissinen, K. (2021). Korkeakouluopiskelijoiden geneeristen taitojen arviointi : Kappas!-hankkeen tuloksia. Opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriö. Opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriön julkaisuja, 2021:6. http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-263-892-2

JYU authors or editors

Publication details

All authors or editors: Ursin, Jani; Hyytinen, Heidi; Silvennoinen, Kaisa; Palonen, Maarit; Kleemola, Katri; Toom, Auli; Nissinen, Kari

ISBN: 978-952-263-888-5

eISBN: 978-952-263-892-2

Journal or series: Opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriön julkaisuja

ISSN: 1799-0343

eISSN: 1799-0351

Publication year: 2021

Number in series: 2021:6

Number of pages in the book: 164

Publisher: Opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriö

Place of Publication: Helsinki

Publication country: Finland

Publication language: Finnish

Persistent website address: http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-263-892-2

Publication open access: Openly available

Publication channel open access: Open Access channel

Publication is parallel published (JYX): https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/73948

Additional information: Julkaisun muut kieliversiot: "Assessment of undergraduate students’ generic skills in Finland : Findings of the Kappas! project"; http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-263-901-1. - "Utvärdering av högskolestuderandes generiska färdigheter – resultat från Kappas! -studien" (tiivistelmä); http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-263-825-0.


The study investigated the level of Bachelor-level students’ generic skills, what factors are connected with the level of generic skills, and to what extent these skills develop during higher education studies. The assessed generic skills included analytic reasoning and evaluation, problem-solving, writing effectiveness, and writing mechanics. The participants (n = 2402) were students at initial and final stages of their Bachelor degree programmes from seven universities of applied sciences (UASs) and eleven universities. According to the results, for nearly 60 percent of the higher education students, the generic skills were on a satisfactory or lower level while for the rest, about 40 percent, these were on a good or higher level. The variation in students’ generic skills was explained mainly by factors pertaining to student’s educational and socioeconomic background. In addition, a cross-sectional analysis indicated that generic skills develop to some extent during the studies. Based on the research findings, attention should be paid to the learning of generic skills already at the lower educational levels and also in learning environments outside school. Moreover, the role of generic skills in student selection should be investigated, and in efforts to develop generic skills in higher education, the different goals of UAS and university education should be considered and learning of generic skills supported in a goal-oriented fashion.

Keywords: pedagogy of higher education; students; institutions of higher education; universities of applied sciences; universities; argumentation; problem solving; skills; know-how; evaluation

Contributing organizations

Related research datasets

Ministry reporting: Yes

Reporting Year: 2021

Last updated on 2022-20-09 at 15:45